With a history of more than 800 years, the city was first built at the end of Southern Song Dynasty (1127- 1279). It is an old alpine town inhabited by Naxi people. With Sifang Street as its center the city is orderly arranged with five main roads radiating to all directions lined with row upon row of tile-roofed houses which are surrounded by streams. Mufu Palace, built in the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), has chastity stone archs at the back and front, Hall for Official Affairs, Wanjuan Building, Hufa Hall, Guangbi Building, Yuying Building, Sanqing Hall and so on which have blended the culture of Han, Bai and Naxi ethnic groups, gathering the beauty and elegance of the gradens in south China. Ancient Lijiang City was put on the List of World Heritages by UNESCO in 1997.